The village of Oxton was originally part of the Parish of Woodchurch. However, as the village grew in size in the mid-nineteenth century, the villagers began to abandon the difficult walk to their parish church and instead worshipped in an old barn nearby. Then, in 1851, the villagers pulled down the barn and built a small ‘chapel-of-ease’ on the same site, dedicating the new chapel to St Saviour.
In 1857, the local landowner, the Earl of Shrewsbury, and the Vicar of Woodchurch, the Revd Joshua King, took the necessary legal steps to allow Oxton to become its own ecclesiastical parish, separate from Woodchurch. (The Earl conveyed the land on which our chapel-of-ease stood to the Vicar, and he in turn endowed the chapel with a tithe.) The Privy Council was then able to create a new parish for Oxton, and St Saviour’s Chapel became our first Parish Church.
In time, the congregation outgrew their modest building, and it too was pulled down to make way for the much larger and very fine parish church building which we have today. Catherine King – a descendent of the Revd Joshua King – laid the foundation stone in 1889, and building work on the main structure was completed in just two years. The first service in the new building was held in 1891, and the tower was completed the following year.
Our Parish Church contains a number of fine furnishings and architectural features. If you’re interested in reading more about these, click on the links below.
An oil painting of the first St Saviour’s Church, Oxton