Burne-Jones was a nineteenth century British artist and designer closely associated with the later part of the Pre-Raphaelite movement, and a key figure in the rejuvenation of the tradition of stained-glass art in Britain. He has stained-glass windows in a number of fine church buildings across England, including Birmingham Cathedral and Christ Church, Oxford.
The top rose of our west window shows Christ in heaven, surrounded by angels. Two lower roses contain angels with dulcimers, ringed by seraph heads. The five main lights exhibit two rows of figures. Christ in the centre is flanked by two angels with lutes in the outer pair, while Deborah and an angel with lutes are found in the inner pair. Beneath are five female figures: Hope; Truth; the Virgin Mary; Prayer; and Faith.
The window was removed for safety during the Second World War, so the glass is original. The only exception to this is one small portion which was lost or damaged during the war, and had to be replaced. It is thought this is the ‘Truth’ section in the lower part of the window.
The window is a memorial to George Rae (1817-1902), a Birkenhead banker and patron of the Pre-Raphaelites.